The Institute for Transportation & Development Policy (ITDP) is a not-for-profit organization based in New York City with offices in Mexico City, Rio de Janeiro, Guangzhou, Chennai, Pune, Jakarta and Washington DC. ITDP works to promote environmentally sustainable and socially equitable transportation policies and projects around the world, with an emphasis on developing countries. ITDP’s programs focus on bus rapid transit, cycling and walking, travel demand management, parking, and urban revitalization. More information about ITDP can be found at www.itdp.org.
Note: This position is based in our Jakarta, Indonesia office. Fluency in Bahasa Indonesia and English is required.
ITDP seeks a Communications Associate to help promote sustainable transportation principles, best practices and project examples throughout Indonesia. Our Indonesia office is fast-paced and ambitious, with projects in Jakarta and projects starting or in development in nine other cities around the country.
The candidate will report to Country Director at Indonesia office and work with internal and external staff, creating and executing communications plans to help raise the profile of and create demand for sustainable transportation/urban development in cities throughout Indonesia and around the world.
The ideal candidate should have a strong background in public relations, journalism or marketing with a deep interest in transportation, cities and the environment; or a strong background in transportation and urban planning with a passion for strategic communications, writing and event planning.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with senior staff in Indonesia and ITDP headquarters on creating a communications plan for the Indonesia field office
- Develop communications and public awareness strategies to promote Transjakarta and sustainable transportation
- Help organize workshops, panel discussions, etc. on various issues in transportation
- Develop relationships with media in all cities where ITDP Indonesia currently has projects
- By using the media, create more interest around the need for sustainable transportation and sustainable urban planning and design
- Write and distribute press releases
- Plan special events
- Assist creating high-quality, visually compelling and clear presentations
- Assist creating and editing reports and publications
- Assist the facilitation of site visits by visiting delegations to Transjakarta and other ITDP project sites
- Assist with daily press round-up, clipping relevant articles and distributing them to staff in Indonesia and sharing highlights with the Communications team in the New York City headquarters
- Update the website and social media with relevant media clips, post information about ITDP Indonesia’s projects and key milestones/accomplishments, post photographs from staff onto TransportPhoto.net and tag them appropriately
- Fluent in Bahasa and English
- Degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, Urban Planning, Transportation Planning or other urban planning or transportation related area
- At least four years of work experience
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Ability and desire to quickly learn new information
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Frequent social-media user
- Live in or will relocate to Jakarta
- Willingness to travel as needed
The ideal candidate will also have the following qualifications:
- Experience developing and implementing communications or marketing campaigns.
- Experience giving presentations or pitches to high-level professional audiences.
- Experience working on sustainable transportation, international development, or environmental projects.
- Experience managing websites and social-medias.
- Experience with photography and/or videography.
- Familiar and proficient with Word and Powerpoint.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter stating why you think you would be a good fit for this position, as well as two writing samples and a resume to: email@example.com before 30 November 2015.
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Click here to download document in pdf format.