Having previously declared plans to restrict private vehicle use during the Southeast Asian Games in November, city officials said they had agreed on a list of the roads for a trial.
Sr. Comr. Royke Lumowa, head of the Jakarta Traffic Police, said he believed the trial run should be implemented on roads that have dedicated TransJakarta busway lanes.
“It is my opinion that it should not be tried on all city roads first,” Royke said on Friday. “I am aware that there will be a strong reaction against the plan, but this will be the initial reaction only. Once people will see that traffic on roads has eased considerably, they will change their minds.